Assistant Professor, Department of Philosophy
Barnard College, Columbia University 2019-present
Postdoctoral Associate in Philosophy and the Humanities
AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION:
Moral Philosophy and its History
Kant’s Moral Philosophy
AREAS OF COMPETENCE:
19th and 20th Century European Philosophy
Aesthetics, especially Philosophy of Film
Ph.D. Philosophy. University of Chicago, 2011-2017
M.A. Philosophy. New School for Social Research, 2006-2008
B.A. Philosophy, Cinema Studies. University of Toronto, 2002-2005
I. Journal Articles
- “How shall we put ourselves in touch with reality? James Baldwin, Film, and Acknowledgment.” Social Research. Vol. 81, No. 4. Spring 2021.
- “Kantian Self-Conceit and the Two Guises of Authority.” Canadian Journal of
Philosophy (2019. Vol. 50, No. 2, 268-283. DOI:10.1017/can.2019.15
- “Unity and Synthesis in the Ego Ideal: Reading Freud’s Concept Through Kant’s Philosophy.” American Imago (2012). Vol. 69, No. 3, 351-381. DOI: 10.1353/aim.2012.0020
II. Articles in Edited Collections
- “The Opacity of Human Action” in Kant’s Fundamental Assumptions: Psychological, Methodological, and Normative. Eds. Colin McLear and Colin Marshall. Oxford University Press (forthcoming)
- “I Want to Know More About You: Knowing and Acknowledging in Cavell and Chinatown.”
Cavell and Aesthetic Understanding. Ed. Garry Hagberg (Palgrave Macmillan, 2018).
- “The Space of Pathos: Meaning, Anxiety, and Ethics in Heidegger’s Being and Time.” Existenzphilosophie und Ethik. Eds. Hans Feger and Manuela Hackel. (De Gruyter, 2013) pp. 329-340.
- “Strange New Beauty: On Sublimation.” Cincinnati Romance Review (2013) 35:135-150.
III. Book Reviews
- Review: Laura Papish’s Kant on Evil, Self-Deception, and Moral Reform. Oxford University Press, 2018. Journal of the History of Philosophy. April 2020.
- Review: Melissa Merritt’s Kant on Reflection and Virtue. Cambridge University Press, 2018. Society for German Idealism and Romanticism. Vol.1, No.1. 2019.
Work in Progress:
Opaque Animals: Self-Opacity, Human Agency, and Ethics (book manuscript).
“Towards a Critical Theory of Self-Knowledge.”
“The Paradox of Apology.”
“The Opacity of Aesthetic Judgment.”
SELECT PUBLICATIONS IN ART CRITICISM
“Film Comes to Mind.” Philosophical Salon, March 2020
“Last Man: On Claire Denis’ High Life.” Los Angeles Review of Books, Nov 2018 “Exercises in Self-Destruction: On First Reformed.” LARB, July 2018
“Haneke and the Technology of Intimacy.” Boston Review, April 2018.
“The Spirit of Things: On Personal Shopper.” LARB, April 2017.
“Roh, nicht medium.” Translation of “Unspeakable Appetites” for Der Freitag, March
“Unspeakable Appetites.” Lenny, March 2016
“An Education: On Barry Jenkin’s Moonlight.” Los Angeles Review of Books.
“The Politics of Self-Knowledge in Jason Bourne.” LARB, August.
“On the Movement for Lynching Memorials.” Lenny, June.
“Images to Work With, in Son of Saul.” LARB, February.
“How to Be Together: Andrew Haigh’s 45 Years.” LARB, December.
“The Quietly Revolutionary Carol.” Lenny, November.
“Repetition and Difference in Two Days One Night.” LARB, December 2014.
“Kara Walker’s A Subtlety.” Los Angeles Review of Books, June 2014.